Do you have a moth problem and are in need of knowing How To Get Rid Of Moths? Well moths are a common problem that many people have in their garden and in their house as well. Moths not only eat many of the plants in your garden, but if they get in your house they can cause quite a bit of damage to you clothes, furniture, and anything else in your home that is made out of cloth.
Below I have written a short little guide on how to get rid of moths that I hope will help you with you pest problem.
How To Get Rid OF Moths In The House
Although seeing moths in your house doesn’t bother most people like other bugs or insects do. Moths can still be a serious problem once you house is infested with them so here are a few things that you can do to eliminate your moth infestation problems.
Clean Your House - It is very important to thoroughly clean your house if you want to get rid of the moths. This means Cleaning out your closets checking your clothes, and shoes for any signs of the moths. You should then check the rest of your closet for any possible signs of moths, and then clean the closet from top to bottom.
You will need to thoroughly vacuum out your closets and rooms (I would recommend changing the bag or filter in your vacuum before you start). You then need to wash any hard surfaces with hot water and soap. Then rinse these surfaces off with vinegar. This step is very important because cleaning you hard surfaces and walls thoroughly in order to remove any moth larva that might be there. After your house is thoroughly clean you can then begin to work on removing what moths might be left in your home as well as preventing them from returning.
How To Get Rid Of Moths Naturally
There are several ways of how to get rid of moths naturally that work really well. Below I have listed some of the more common natural moth repellants.
- Mint - Dried mint leaves work really well as a natural moth repellant.
- Lavender - Dried lavender set out in a bowel, or even cotton balls soaked in lavender oil will work to drive of moths. Just place either one in closets, dresser drawers or any other places where you have a moth problem or are worried about them getting into clothing and other items.
- Cedar - Ceder has long been known as a natural moth repellant that is why people used to keep their clothes in a cedar chest or closet. Cedar wood though will dry out over several years and loose it’s smell which is what drives the moths away, so you should be prepared to periodically rub the wood with cedar oil so that it keeps it’s protective smell. If you don’t have a cedar closet or chest you can always take a few pieces of cedar wood and place them in your closet or dresser and they will provide you with the same moth repelling effect.
Other Ways Of How To Get Rid Of Moths
- Mothballs – Mothballs used to be a very popular way of getting rid of moths, but there are a few down sides to using them. First most people don’t really care for their smell, and second they can be kind of dangerous if you have small children in the house. Since you don’t want them being eaten or even put in their mouths by accident.
- Moth Traps - Moth traps work quite well and many of them use pheromones to lure the moths into the trap so you won’t have any worries about putting these traps in your kitchen and pantry since they are a completely safe and non toxic way of getting rid of moths in your house.
These are just a few different ways of how to get rid of moths naturally and with store bought products.