The age old question of how to get rid of a cold has been eluding people for ever. This is because there are so many different viruses, 200+ in fact that cause the common cold each year. So unfortunately there is no miracle cure for the common cold, but there are a few thing that you can do that will lessen the symptoms and get you back to normal a little faster than just letting your cold run it’s course. So follow along and we will discuss some of the common cold remedies that many people use if you are looking for how to get rid of a cold fast.
Common Cold Symptoms
Before you figure out how to get rid of a cold there are a few things about colds that you should probably know that will help you with your quest to get rid of colds. The typical cold lasts for about 3 to 5 days while your body and immune system fights the cold virus.
There are several symptoms that are commonly associated with having a cold, and I have listed them below for a quick reference.
- Cough - A persistent cough is very common with most colds
- Fever - A mild fever is usually associated with having a cold. Usually under 103 degrees, if the fever is any higher than that it is probably more than likely the flu.
- Runny Nose
- Sore Throat
How To Get Rid Of A Cold
As I mentioned before there is no magic remedy for how to get rid of a cold overnight, but here are a few things that might ease your pain and the symptoms of your cold.
- Vitamin C – I think everyone knows that taking vitamin C is good for fighting a cold, and the mayo Clinic has backed that up on their website. They say that a daily dose of vitamin C before you get sick can help shorten the time that you are sick. I read on several websites that it might be as much as one whole day taken off of the time that you have your cold.
- Zink - Taking a Zink supplement is one of those cold treatments that I just recently heard about in the last couple of years, but according to WebMD.com if you take a Zink supplement at the first sign of a cold coming on it can reduce the length of your cold symptoms by up to one day for some people.
- Rest - There is nothing better for your body than getting plenty of rest even when you aren’t sick, but once you are sick you should get plenty of rest to help your body recuperate.
How To Get Rid Of A Cold Fast
Probably one of the best things that you can do for your body when you have a cold is eat well and get plenty of fluids to keep you hydrated. My personal trick for how to get rid of a cold fast is to drink sports drinks like Gatorade. The great thing about drinking sports drinks verses just water and juices is that they contain electrolytes like chloride, potassium, sodium, and sugars that will not only help your body to absorb fluids better, but will also give you a little bit more energy. This is just my cold home remedy, but it does seem to work quite well at getting me back up on my feet a little faster.
How To Get Rid Of A Cold With Medicine
You should always consult a doctor before taking any medicine to make sure that it is OK for you to take. However after talking to your doctor here are a few over the counter medications that can help with your cold symptoms.
- Acetaminophen - Taking medication that contain Acetaminophen will help relieve some of your pain, and is recommended over taking Aspirin. The most common medications that contain Acetaminophen is Dayquil, Pandol, and Tylenol.
- Antihistamines - Taking medications that contain Antihistamines is what you want to relieve your sinus pain and congestion. Antihistamines will help you with your sinus inflammation and other related symptoms that are bothering you. You should also look for Antihistamines that also contain a decongestant to help you with your often times plugging and runny nose that comes along with having a cold. Some common over the counter Antihistamines with decongestants are Allegra D, Claritin D, and Sudafed plus.
- Expectorants - Taking medications with Expectorants will help loosen up any phlegm in your lungs to help you breath a little easier. Some common Expectorant medications are Robitussin Severe Congestion Liqui-Gels and Vicks 44E. Expectorants are good to use with a humidifier with a little eucalyptus oil to help you breath a little easier.
More Information On How To Get Rid Of A Cold
If you need more information on how to get rid of a cold than what you have found here in this article then you can do a quick internet search using the following search terms below to find more information.
- How to get rid of a cold fast
- How to get rid of cold
- How to get rid of a cold quickly
- How to get rid of a cold overnight
- How to get rid of a head cold
- How to get rid of colds
- Getting rid of a cold
There are many more different home cold remedies that people take to help ease their colds. Some are easy to take like eating chicken soup for curing a cold. While others like eating garlic cloves are a little harder to swallow. Always use your best judgement and consult a doctor whenever trying to treat any illness. I hope this article helps you with your cold and gave you a little bit more information on how to get rid of a cold.